Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week 3 notes

Week 3

1) Machtelt Garrels. “Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide”
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
(only need to read section 1, but you are welcome to read the whole document)
Before reading this, I had only heard of Linux.  I knew it was an alternative operating system, but I didn’t know it was used on many smartphones and even watches.  After reading about it, I think it’s good that users have a choice for an operating system beyong MacOS and Windows.  The article pointed out that Linux has become easier for beginners to use, and the screen shots from the links seem startlingly similar to Windows.  Linuz may be making a comeback because it’s based in Open Source technology, and that has been becoming increasingly popular.  Because Linux is FREE, it may gain even more popularity.

2) http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/  
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
I was hesitant of Apple computers for a long time because I wasn’t familiar with OS, but after I began using Macs, I realized they weren’t difficult -- I just needed to learn how.  We use Macs in my office, and my family recently purchased one.  So I was glad to read these articles and clarify something I use daily.   Reading about all of the features, they all sound great.  It would be interesting to see a chart that compares each feature to similar ones in Windows and Linux.  Otherwise, it’s hard to judge which is better by just reading about them, unless you’ve used all the systems.  I didn’t know there were so many versions of Mac OS X (they are are 10.6, or “snow leopard).

3) Paul Thurott “An Update on the Windows Roadmap”     
   http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/06/27/an-update-on-the-windows-roadmap.aspx

Windows got a bad reputation in the past few years because of bugs and kinks in its system, so it was enlightening to read this e-mail.  It was heavy on PR, but it acknowledged what the company is facing.  There were high expectations for the latest version, and I think it placated some users.  I liked reading about the resume time, which went from 30 seconds to 2.  This is a huge difference, especially for people who are impatient when booting.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one unfamiliar with the world of Linux. It just seemed too "techie" for me before reading this. I also had no idea just how much this system was used, although it is nowhere near as well known as the other two major OS's. I feel like the younger generation is definitely more open to Linux and Mac OS X not only because they are "hipper" than Microsoft, but we understand that having more than one option is good when it comes to technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac's do scare some people, especially those who have always used Windows. For everyday things, unless you’ve always used the Linux/Mac system, the Windows system is better. But, for people like me, who’ve have always used Macs, we think there’s nothing better. In my opinion they last longer then PC and Windows. It would be interesting to see a chart comparing Linux to Windows on compatible features. I think that Linux/Mac will win on most things, but I do agree that Windows does have some good features. The many different versions of Linux, like Snow Leopard, just show how the system keeps getting better.

    I also think that libraries should more toward the Linux system, because it is free. Also, as stated above, Mac's tend to last longer then PC's. So running the Linux system on a Mac would possible cut down on technology costs because they would not be replacing PC's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere around 1987-88, Pitt opened its first computer labs for students who needed to do word processing (not much else to do on a computer--no internet, remember?) All the computers were Macs, and I enjoyed the ease of use (Is there still a trash can on the desk top where you can just click on something and drag it to the trash can and it disappears?) Flashforward a few decades and a lot of computers later. I don't think I've touched a Mac since. I think once you have established yourself as Mac or PC, you tend to stay there. I would like to try a Mac, to see what I might be missing. And like Kristen, I would like to see a chart that spells out the plusses and minusses of each system. That would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete