Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week 8 notes

1) W3schools HTML Tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/
This was awesome to play around with!  I know next to nothing about HTML, so pairing this with the cheatsheet below, I was able to play around and get a little more comfortable with it.  I still couldn't figure out a number of things, such as how to make a table.  But I think I have the basics.  I have used W3 Schools to look up some other things about using computers, and I've always found the site helpful.


2) HTML Cheatsheet http://www.webmonkey.com/reference/HTML_Cheatsheet/
I didn't know there were so many HTML codes!  This was helpful for when I was on he W3 school site.  I kept referring to it the whole time.  If I had to do any kind of HTML project, I would print this out and put it beside my computer for easy reference.  It makes me wonder if anyone knows every single code, like a language.  I guess if you build websites for a living you would.  Did anyone see "The Social Network"?  The people in that movie were coding like maniacs; they probably didn't need a cheat sheet.  But I do!


3) W3 School Cascading Style Sheet Tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/css/ 
This got more confusing that straightforward HTML, but if you really knew how it worked, it would save a ton of time.  It makes me wonder if anyone uses just HTML to make websites anymore, or if pretty much everything is CSS.  When would be a time you wouldn't want to use CSS?  This article went way too in-depth for someone like me, who has only a basic knowledge of CSS, but I can tell it would be an excellent source if you wanted to learn CSS (as most of the W3 school sites are).

4) Goans, D., Leach, G., & Vogel, T. M. (2006). Beyond HTML: Developing and re-imagining library web guides in a content management system. Library Hi Tech, 24(1), 29-53.
Much of the language in this article was over my head, but it was interesting.  It sounds like it was a huge project involving many people.  It sounds like it was a big step up from the original FrontPage that had one "network coordinator" librarian in charge of it, and then the more than 100 guides -- what a searching nightmare.  It was interesting reading about the reasoning behind adopting CMS technology.  It also went through the process of implementing such a system, which is helpful for anyone looking to do so.


Kristen Huth

No comments:

Post a Comment